Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Burgers

I went to Five Guys for a burger and fries for lunch today. This picture shows how one of their burgers might look before it gets wrapped.
For those of you who may not know this, Five Guys is a very successful local chain that started in Springfield, VA and is growing rapidly with their no-nonsense approach. It's basically fast food, but a cut above the usual. They only sell burgers, hot dogs, fries and drinks from a fountain machine. You order from the counter and eat free peanuts while you wait and they use no frills packaging like brown paper bags, foil and Styrofoam cups. I don't believe the patties are frozen, and the vegetable toppings all taste very fresh. They get rave reviews for their quality to price ratio and they seem to be opening new locations constantly.
I usually order the little cheeseburger with the regular Cajun fries. However, I have a complaint. When I open up my burger, the bun is always mashed up from the way they wrap it in paper-backed foil. Also, when I eat it, it tends to fall apart. (I really don't like messy foods. That's why I order soft tacos rather than crunchy ones.) Everything tastes great, but it falling apart often keeps me from going there for lunch. That's probably a good thing. Part of the problem may be that I get lots of fixings and it becomes a tall burger, but their regular burger is actually a double burger which is even taller. Why don't they just make it a single burger with a wider patty and a wider more substantial bun?

Enter McDonald's. While I'm not a big fan of McDonald's, I do go there sometimes. When I do, I always order the Big Mac, their flagship menu item. Recently, some participating McDonald's started serving 1/3 pound Angus Burgers in 3 varieties. I ordered the Angus Deluxe to see what it was and was I ever surprised! I couldn't even believe this burger came from McDonald's. It was awesome! I really mean it. If you like burgers and you haven't tried it, you really should. The meat is not the usual thin patty that looks like they boiled it in water. It's big, tasty and it doesn't fall apart. The bun is also substantial, not that stuff that they use on the other burgers that compresses into nothing when you grab it. The fixings were also fresh and tasty.
They have 3 types of Angus burgers, Deluxe, Mushrooms and Swiss, and Bacon and Cheese, all priced the same. I always go with the Deluxe because it comes with the fresh veggie fixings. This burger is so good that I'm actually more likely to consider going to McDonald's for a bite then I did before, at least while supplies last.

No comments:

Post a Comment